can you give me some advice please?Fri, Feb 8th 2008
My son is going to be 11 in April; he has always since I can remember been a child who wants everyone’s attention on him only. He is getting worse as he gets older. He has gone through at least 5 schools since he started going to school. He refuses to follow directions from any female, and some males. He tells me all the time that he hates me and why don't you just kill me and get it over with already. He is in the 5th grade but is in 3rd grade math and reading and 4th grade for some of his other classes. I am really concerned. My son was about 1 year old when I started to see how he would not listen to women. He was around 6 years old when his brother was born and then he just was a totally different child. Always telling me to get rid of the baby that he wanted myself and husband to his self. And about 11 months ago I had my third child, a baby girl. He was very excited about that. The thing that concerns me the most is that he likes to hit his 4 year old brother and he is always getting into fights at school and on the bus. He is in a private school right now but myself and my husband have noticed that since he has been at this school he has gotten a whole lot worse. I am thinking it is because he is hanging out with the older trouble makers. He comes home and he thinks that I do not hear him using swear words, when I confront him he tells me that I am always accusing him of things. He is always back talking and screaming at the top of his lungs. Especially when his brother and sister are taking their naps. I had him tested for ADD/ADHD and it came back that he is not. My husband and I never fight or argue in front of our kids, so I know that is not the problem. My son also tells me all the time that "dad needs to divorce you and get some one better than you." Can you please help? My husband and I want to send him to boot camp or boarding school to help him. I am begging for your help. I have asked for help before and my son is getting 20 times worse than he was in the beginning. Thank you for your time. Very desperate mother in need of help.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.