Rocky RelationshipMon, Jul 31st 2000
My boyfriend and I have had a rocky relationship since we moved in together. Before we lived together we used to communicate more, we were both happier. I'm not sure what happened, but as a result of this we have had many hurtful and damaging fights. I say 'damaging' because I feel that he has slowly done away with the love I felt for him. He has said things and done things that I can't seem to get over. I find myself resentful and angry most of the time, and I don't want to become bitter. How can I stop resenting and move on? I feel that a lot of the issues that have caused this have not had a resolution, I need closure but don't know how to get it because my boyfriend is so uncommunicative and defensive that if I bring up a past issue he accuses me of wanting to start a fight. Please help. I want to try and recover what I felt in the beginning of this relationship, I feel it has soured, but maybe it can be saved if only I can let some things go. Otherwise, I want to move on. (P.S. He hasn't been unfaithful or physically abusive, but he has said many hurtful things, and broken many promises.)
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.