ConcernedTue, Feb 3rd 2009
I am concerned about my mental well being. I lead a stressful life. I'm in nursing school, my boyfriend is 2500 miles away in the military and 6 months of the year he is in Iraq. My father and I have a horrible relationship, and my mother is addicted to prescription medication. Just trying to explain. Anyway, if put in a situation that I don't like or if I get upset about something I can feel my pulse quicken and I feel like dropping whatever I'm doing and running. Literally that's my impulse. I constantly feel unfulfilled and overwhelmed to the point where I can't make decisions or do anything but cry. I feel irritable and angry. Then, when I react to people I love, I feel horrid. If my boyfriend says something or does something simple that makes me angry I feel this way. Most of the time I say and do nothing. I just get very quiet and listen to loud music or drive my car very fast. These aren't permanent fixes, nor do I think they are very healthy decisions. I need to know if I'm sick mentally or if there is something I should do. Thanks.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.