Never Been In a Serious RelationshipMon, Sep 14th 2009
I'm a 23 year old woman and have never been in a serious relationship. I often find that I'm interested in men who are not interested in me, and the one's that are interested in me I don't have feelings for. I even tried dating the men I didn't want but who wanted me, but, I did not develop any feelings for them. Or I began to like them less the more I got to know them.
People say I'm beautiful, interesting and have a warm personality. However, I am clueless when it comes to dating and always seem to do the wrong thing. I've tried different ways of meeting people such as, parties, social and sports clubs, etc. I am introverted but fake being confident. At the end of the day I just feel like I am still too introverted and unique for anyone to seriously be interested in me. I try and avoid men that only want sex but that's all I keep meeting, or, I meet men who just want to be friends. I'm worried that at the end of the day I'm just really an unlovable person who will always be alone. I don't mind being single most of the time but sometimes the thought begins to nag at me. What can I do?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.